Please join us for a 5 km walk/run as we participate in this year's Toronto Waterfront Marathon Charity Challenge in October 2023.
Why is Islington participating?
What is social justice?
Social justice aims to ensure the full and equal participation of all groups in a society that is mutually shaped to meet their needs. Social justice includes a vision of society that is equitable and where all members are physically and psychologically safe and secure.
Source: Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice: A Sourcebook. Edited by Maurianne Adams, Lee Anne Bell, and Pat Griffin. (2007)
Why should I participate?
You can have a direct impact on improving people’s lives by walking for social justice. This year we aim to raise $25,000. With your participation as a walker, sponsor, or donor we are confident we will reach our goal!
How can I participate?
There are four different ways to participate:
- Register to walk or run 5 km on October 14 with the team.
- Register to run a half or full marathon on October 15.
- Register to walk or run 5 km “virtually” on your own, with a friend, or with the team anytime between October 1 and 31.
- Sponsor a Islington United Church team member(s) by making an online pledge.
How does it work?
You start by registering online here: https://raceroster.com/events/2023/65909/2023-tcs-toronto-waterfront-marathon
After you register, you will be given your own fundraising web page. (We can help you with setting this up if you wish.)
Then you approach friends, family, co-workers, colleagues, neighbours, and online contacts to sponsor you. You share the link to your personal page and your sponsors can make a donation online and will automatically receive a tax receipt for donations of $10 or more.
If you have a sponsor who wishes to donate by cash or cheque instead of online, we can assist with that as well.
Is there a cost?
The registration fee is payable online when you register for the 5 km walk or run. If you would like to participate, but the fee is prohibitive, please contact us confidentially at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work out the details.
The marathon organizers increase the participation fees the closer we move toward walk/run day, so register early!
What does the fee cover?
The registration fee supports all aspects of the organization of the Toronto Waterfront Marathon event. It does not go to Islington United Church.
In return for your registration fee you will receive
- – 5K Finisher Medal
- – ASICS Souvenir Shirt
- – Bib for Race Day
- – Larabar
- – Nuun Product
Race kit pickup
All participants in the In-Person race must pick up their Race Kit at Race Kit Pickup.
Race Kit Pickup is available at the TCS Toronto Waterfront Marathon Expo at the Enercare Centre, Hall D, on Oct. 13-14, 2023
Friday, October 13, 2023 | 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, October 14, 2023 | 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
There is no race day pickup.
Please note if you are taking part in The Whole Shebang, you will receive your The Whole Shebang medal at race kit pickup.
Picking up for a Friend?
Please bring either their original Race Roster Registration Confirmation Email OR a text, e-mail, or hand-written note that states they allow you to pick up their race kit on their behalf.
3 Kit Maximum
Please note that each person that enters the expo will only be allowed to pick up 3 kits, including their own. If you plan to pick up more than 3 kits, please plan to bring enough people that will allow you to each pickup.
If you have any questions, please contact: Team Captain Dennis Bradley: email@example.com
Islington United Church has participated in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon for 14 consecutive years (!). Captain Dennis Bradley has been at the helm of our enthusiastic Running and Walking for Refugees team since the beginning. For the last two years (while there is a pause on refugee sponsorship opportunities) Captain Dennis leads us once again, this time as we WALK the WALK for social justice. All funds raised will go toward our social justice programming, making a real difference in the lives of so many who need our help.
Right now, right here, there are three awesome ways to support our team:
Anyone who raises $500 or more in sponsorships for the Islington United Church team will be refunded the registration fee of $70.
2. Select the ‘register now’ image
3. Use the three drop down menus to select the race you would like to participate in (virtual or in-person or both, and distance)
4. Fill out your personal information
5. In the section that says “General & TCS Charity Challenge Fundraising Teams”, select “Yes, add this registrant to a team created by someone else”, select “Fundraising Team – TCS Charity Challenge”. In the next drop-down menu that reads “Select team”, search for and select “Islington United Church”.
6. Complete the page information, including selecting a shirt size and any add-ons
7. Select ‘Continue’
8. Read and agree to the documents and waivers by selecting the boxes and entering your name
9. On the next page you can select a donation amount you would like to start yourself off with
10. Purchase or decline a protection policy
11. Complete your payment information and submit order
2. Select a donation amount and add any additional information
To share on social media:
Click image to open/download for posting on your social media channels. Please include a link to islingtonunited.org
Banner: (1920 x 380 px)
Square: (400 x 400 px)
Facebook Post – Landscape
Instagram Post – Square